Thursday, April 1, 2010

Severe Flooding




Our area has been affected by severe flooding.  It is the worst flooding ever recorded in one hundred years of record keeping.  There has national news coverage of our area and the devastation.  It is surreal to watch some of the coverage.  We have been so blessed and our home has not been affected.  During the worst of the storm we did have some rain seeping in and puddling in the basement, but that seems so insignificant compared to the damage around us.  You can watch a clip
here.  That is about one mile from our home.  It is not only the mall that is effected but the entire area.  Many homes have more than six feet of water in them.  The water levels have completely filled the basements and reached the first floor of many homes.  Our local water treatment facility is completely flooded.  We are under a water ban for now.  This has not effected us as much because we have a septic system.  Both of my brothers have little children and they are connected to the facility.  Everyone is being asked to conserve water use, no showers, laundry, dishwashers, and flush only when necessary.

While we feel so blessed to have escaped the worst of this flooding our hearts are breaking for all those around us suffering.  The mall that was flooded employed hundreds of people.  Our economy is in trouble and this will only increase the strain on finances.  We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country and I can't help but think of the many others who may lose their jobs.  So many lives affected and changed forever.  Families with no where to go.  Complete loss of all they own.  I can not begin to express how my heart is breaking for each one.

It is a constant reminder to lay up for ourselves treasures in heaven where moth or rust (or flood) cannot destroy.  Our value should not be placed on the temporary things of this world but on the eternal things.

Our God is good and I know He has a plan.  He allows things to happen for a reason.  We will see His mighty hand work in this situation.  He will provide through His people.



8 comments:

Adrienne said...

Oh my. I'm so glad that you all are ok but I'm so sorry for everyone else. What a terrible feeling - complete loss of control. I hope that the water begins to go down soon.

Heidi said...

Wow - that is so scary and sad.

stitching under oaks said...

I saw this on the news and wondered if anyone I 'knew' was affected. I'm so glad you're safe but know how devasting it must be to everyone around you. We'll be praying for you and your family and neighbors.

Just Be Happy said...

We are blessed and we should thank God every day.
I'm glad to hear things are ok with you.
Happy Easter!

Artfulife said...

Your scripture is so very true. I am very grateful you guys are safe but will still keep you and your sweet family & neighbors in my prayers. I hope that when the water clears there will be an outpouring of help and love from the local community. Hope you are able to have a wonderful Easter despite the crazy weather.

Unknown said...

I was wondering if you had the flooding near you. What a disaster, huh? We have people homeless now in our town because the water went 6 feet high into their houses. What a blessing that you were spared! Glad to see you are ok!

Anonymous said...

Praying - Love you!- Charity

patty said...

incredible... story and photos. keeping you in our prayers.

Post a Comment

I love to hear from all of you. Your comments make me smile.