Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Recreating Our Christmas Decor

This season is a time to enjoy one another, remember our Savior's birth, and gifts for those you love and appreciate.  I think most people are on a tight budget and we are no exception.  I decided that I would not even think about the things I could not purchase but use my creativity to recreate the things we already have. I spend very little, mostly on floral picks that were highly discounted and a few things from the Dollar Tree.  
Our tree is very eclectic.  I would love a theme tree that is color coordinated but our tree is filled with memories.  Our ornaments each hold special meaning for us.  Each year the kids choose an ornament.  It is so much fun to see their tastes change.  Now that they are older, the ornaments remind us of their interests when they were young.  Some day they will move out and take them all with them.  Then I will have my theme tree.
 For now I enjoy the memories each ornament holds.
 I am extremely thrilled to have all our gifts wrapped early this year.
 Crocheted snowflake ornament I made a couple of years ago.  I love these.  They are some of my favorites.
 Our daughter now loves the Eiffel Tower~these are recent ornament choices.  She dreams of someday traveling to see these places.

Another favorite 
 
Our angel-she is so pretty
 My secretary that is on the to be painted list.
 Glittery pine cone that I found last year at Walmart on sale
 This little box was from a Bath & Body Works gift set that hubby gave me years ago.  It was a dark green color and this year I gave it a coat in white paint with touches of silver glitter paint.  I am loving it.
I filled it with pine cones that I have had for a long time but this year I painted them in blues and silver.
I watched a video on HGTV's website of Sarah Richardson (whom I love) painting pine cones in the easiest way.  I knew I wanted to try them.
 You water down some paint in a plastic container that has a tight sealing lid.  Drop in the pine cones, put the cover on and shake it.  Open the lid and your pine cones are completely covered, remove them and place them on wax paper to dry.  I sprinkled them with some glitter while the paint was wet.
 I forgot to take a before picture but I didn't paint the bottom-this is the original color.

Our fireplace mantel.  We start off with the big tv.  It is the bane of my decorating. I envision it decorated so differently.  I would love a mirror, frames in various sizes and shapes and so much more but there really isn't a better place for it.  So the tv sits on the mantel.  I work with what I have.
 We are in need of new stockings.  Not sure if I will look for some on clearance or just make some.  They are well over ten years old.
Garland to hide the wires behind the tv.
 The white candles looked plain so I wrapped some silver ribbon around them and glued some snowflakes to them.  The white ones I crocheted.  The blue one is a floral pick I found for 49 cents.  It was the last one. Would have loved a couple more at that amazing price.
 More painted pine cones 

 Our son's ever expanding nutcracker collection.  The newest edition is Sherlock Holmes.
I hope you have enjoyed this little tour.  I have had so much fun creating things to decorate for Christmas.  I am never truly finished.  Each day I seem to find just one more thing I would like to try.

Linking to:








Photobucket




ThriftyThurs Thrifty Thursday Week 53












9 comments:

Sweat Is My Sanity said...

Love all the Nutcrackers. I also love the blue pinecones...awesome! :) Jessica

runningtobeskinny.com

The Single Nester said...

What gorgeous decorations. The silver and white nutcracker that you have is very similar to mine except in gold and white. And . . . every tree needs an Eiffel Tower ornament!

KimMalk said...

Hi Ruth, you've really decorated your home so lovely. I really like your pinecone painting tip.

Johnnie said...

I love love love the blue pine cones with the snowflake candles. Great job. Thanks for linking to Thrifty Thursday this week.

Blessings!
Printable Decor
Saved By Love Creations

karah said...

I think a tree full of meaningful ornaments is beautiful in more ways than just looks. It's great to be able to smile at all the details. Your decorations are beautiful!
Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

Anonymous said...

I love these colors! So pretty =)
http://shannonolson.blogspot.com/2011/12/christmas-projects.html

Michelle@ourwonderfilledlife.com said...

Ruth, what a nutcracker collection, so great!! Adore the meaning behind your ornaments, that is the special part. Everything is beautiful! Merry Christmas! Michelle

Janet said...

How nice to have the ornaments to remember past Christmas's. I'm sure they will be meaningful to your kids for many years to come. :)

Traci said...

It looks amazing! So pretty:)

Post a Comment

I love to hear from all of you. Your comments make me smile.