Let me begin this post by saying that our bathroom is horrible. I would love to gut it and redo it but it is our only bathroom. I don't know what we would do without a bathroom. There is also uncertainty about how much longer we will live here. We live near an airport that wants to extend. With that being said I try to do the best I can with what I have.
This is the before photo. Our neighborhood is congested so for privacy I keep traditional window treatments on this window.
These curtains had seen better days and were faded. I wanted something new but couldn't find anything that I liked. Many of the patterns I found were not my taste.
I found this bedsheet at the thrift store for $7. It was a Waverly print.
I used the previous curtains as a pattern and cut them out adding the seam allowances and space for the curtain rod. This is the valance.
My helpers~they're inside with me because it's raining again.
Lower half of the curtains.
I sewed them and it came out even. I am always worried that I will make a mistake and one side will be longer than the other. Thankfully these are perfect. The lower half of the curtains with the black ribbon is the top of the flat sheet. This made it easy because I did not have to hem this.
We have a small kennel area under the desk in the kitchen that we use for a kennel for our beagle. She cannot be free at night because if she even senses a squirrel anywhere on our property she loses it. She will scratch at doors and windows to try to get out and chase it. If she is in the kennel she does not even react.
It is too funny~she feels comfortable in here and although we intend it only for nighttime or while we are out we find her here often. She has always like small spaces. When she was getting bigger we purchased a larger bed for her and she curled up in one small corner, using less than half the bed.
This little nook is convenient, no more big dog kennel in the way but it is an eye sore.
Solution: tension rod and curtain.
I used the left over fabric from the sheet. On the left side is the top of the sheet with the black ribbon so I added a black ribbon down the right side of the sheet. It was hemmed on two sides and I only hemmed one and made a pocket for the tension rod. Now it isn't an eyesore.
I had to run out in the rain to snap some pictures of this little guy who visited our garden.