Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Bits and Pieces

It's been a busy and long week already.  It does not seem to matter how much I try to plan, everything happens at the same time.

Last Thursday, Skylar had surgery (see previous post), on Monday we took another trip to the vet and she had her tubes removed.  They said everything looked good.  She did manage to rip out a stitch.  I'm not sure how because I have been watching her like a hawk.  She has to have warm compresses 3 to 4 times a day and then clean her wound with peroxide.  She is always so cooperative, except that she is always trying to clean her collar while I treat her.   Believe it or not this takes quite a chunk of time out of my day but she's worth it.

Monday afternoon was our ds last snowboarding class.  He had so much fun.  I won't miss it as much.  Between the commute and the two hour class we were gone from about 3 pm to almost 7 pm.  He did have a great time and loved every minute of his lessons.  He never complained about the cold and somedays it was 0 degrees. 

Tuesday we were off and running first thing in the morning for our dental cleanings.  I have had this appointment since August, who knew then that this week would just explode with other appointments and activities.  Afterwards it was off to the grocery store.  We were in need of some food in this house.  It was looking like Mother Hubbard lived here.

Today is our first day home this week.  I am trying to catch up on laundry and some cleaning.  By the end of the day the dog hair looks like tumbleweed rolling across the living room floor.

Tomorrow haircuts, which I canceled when Skylar first had her lump lanced a few weeks ago.  We are all in desperate need.  Our dear neighbor will be doggie sitting because I don't trust this doggie to stay home and leave those stitches alone.  We would probably return home to find her collar shredded to bits and her stitches scratched off.  

Friday we go back to the vet to have her stitches removed and while we're there they will do her annual exam.  As wonderful as the staff is I hope we don't see the vet for another year.  This has been crazy.

This past weekend we had a warming trend with temps reaching into the 40's.  It felt  like spring.  We are actually looking at a week with no snow. There are actual visible patches of ground now.  Plenty of snow mountains still around but much of the ice is gone.  The snow that we couldn't get rid of is actually melted in the walkways and side streets.   There has been some rain but thankfully it is not snow.  Hoping to keep the snow away.  There has been enough of it for two winters.

With the unbelievable cold we've had and all the snow we are all out of firewood.  There isn't any to even order because it is buried under piles of snow.  We are looking at a cool house for the rest of the winter. Gas heat is not enough to keep this house nice and warm.  Not looking forward to the chill and the high bill.

To keep my hands busy and my mind off the cold I am working on this wreath.  It is amazing and I loved it from the minute I noticed it.  I have had it on my to do list forever and I chose to start it even if things are crazy right now.  It's a bit of sanity at the end of the day.  I usually work on while we watch tv.  While at snowboarding class on Monday I cut out all the circles to begin rolling them.  

This gorgeous wreath has also caught my eye.  The wreath looks amazing in that Valentine vignette.  Absolutely loving the frame it's hanging from.  I have been hitting the thrift stores trying to score a beauty like that.  Hoping to find it soon.  This wreath is actually made with book punches she used a scalloped punch to cut out. 

Wow, this is almost a book.  Just the goings on here.  Never too exciting but we keep plugging on.  In the midst of this busyness we continue to homeschool.  Dd has been accepted at our local state college.  She will be attending in the fall and is hoping to join the nursing program the following year.  


Adrienne said...

wow - you really have had a lot going on! Isn't it funny how MD appts are scheduled months in advance and end up being at the ~most~ inconvenient time. Who knew?! Glad you are begining to thaw up there. That stinks about the wood - good excuse to crochet a sweater ;-)

Shell in your Pocket said...

What beautiful are a very busy gal!

sandy toe

Queen of Dreamsz said...

Hi Ruth,

When it pours...or this year I should say "when it SNOWS, it pours"! It has just started snowing here again after a much appreciated 10 day lapse that gave us some half way decent temps. We are supposed to get 2-3 inches and then it's supposed to warm up into the 40's again...just totally weird!

I'm sooooo sorry you can't get any wood from anywhere! I can understand why though..Do you know anyone with acreage or any woods where you can gather (for free) fallen limbs?

Since we live in the mountains we are now gathering everything we see that easy to get to...our problem is that we'll see some and it way down a'd kill yourself trying to get to it.

We called for another load several weeks ago in fear of running into the same situation...The guy told us we were lucky to get any from him..that he could bring us one more load and then he had to start cutting and splitting again. At least he can get to it.

My central heat system is new and works well but it also costs A LOT when it stays as cold as it has since early December. I just about fainted when we got our last bill. So we keep the wood stove loaded to enable us to keep the thermostat set much lower on the central system.

I'm so sorry you've had so much happen is such a short time. It seems that just the simple act of existing can become overwhelming when you add a few unexpected things to it.

Hugs and Prayers and a Wood Fairy Dance for WOOD to appear! hee hee

Stephanie ♥

Artfulife said...

Sounds like you are keeping super busy. Ah, the glamourous life of a mum ;) Hope your weekend is a little more relaxing.

Just be happy! said...

I went to Joanns and bought the yarn, and walked to World Market (next door to Joann's) and the little man picked a new bath toy. I thought he was feeling good, so we were going to get some groceries for dinner and then he started puking again in the car, so we came home, took a nice long and warm bath and are going to take it easy, watch a movie, color and just play inside. I'm taking him to the dr this afternoon. So yep, no swimming.

Crystal's Place said...

Wow Ruth you've been busy.
Love the hearts at the top of your blog, so pretty!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from all of you. Your comments make me smile.