Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Summer Reading

As a homeschooler, I tend to spend most of the school year reading books that tend to do with the kids' lessons.  I am able to sneak in a book for myself occasionally and always a few good magazines.  I don't mind reading the books for the lessons because I am learning so much right along with them and I completely enjoy it.  But the summer is my time.  Soon enough I will pick the school books back up again and prepare for our year ahead, but I have had quite a wonderful break from them.  

I began my fun summer reading with this wonderful book.  It's such a great read and I enjoyed it so much.  It's the kind of life that I am slowly working to achieve.  These times are not my times.  I think I was born in the wrong era and could go back in time to when things were simpler.  Although, I would need to bring a computer so I can blog. LOL
This was the next book on my list.  A quick read that made my mouth water with all the wonderful recipes and made me want to get on a plane and travel to France, even more than I already wanted.
This was such a strong story.  I had not seen the movie before I read the book but have it on my to do list now.  My daughter read it and now my son is.  The innocence of Bruno in the story just captures your heart and really makes you think.
After that I certainly needed something a little lighter.  I have been enjoying this amazing book.  The pictures, colors, recipes and ideas are just fabulous.  This is like a small luxury for me.  Though I wanted  to read it all at once I made myself stop every couple of pages and think about what I read and enjoy the colorful photos on every page.  I will keep this book on my nightstand and bring it out when I need a little inspiration or need to realize how important the gentle arts really are.
The next book on my list is this one.  I have only started going through the pages this afternoon but was distracted with some work we are doing in my daughter's room.  I ended up taking apart a bench she had in her room.  We are on a quest to make her room more mature.  There was a lot of purging, new bedding bought, and now we are looking for just the right paint color.  So I never made it back to my book but will enjoy it tonight with a cup of tea.  Can't wait.
The last book on my list is Julie & Julia.  Of course, I will want to see this film when it comes out but I hope to enjoy the book first.  It seems wonderful and I can't wait.
What's on your summer reading list?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really didnt have a summer list till now. You have some good books on yours. My daughter just read 5 people you meet in heaven for school. She loved it and hated for it to come to an end. Now thats a book to make a teenager feel that way! I do want to read it and maybe a few of yours...oh to find the time. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Oh me oh my those books look lovely! I have a friend reading 'Julie and Julia,' and she says it's wonderful. I've gotten sucked into the Twilight series and just started the 3rd one, Eclipse. It's too good to put down, tee hee. We have to go to the library at least once a week because my oldest is crazy about books...all she wants to do is read. Guess I shouldn't complain ;-)

Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier, your's is quite lovely too!

Jamie :)

Cyndi said...

These all look like great books I'll need to put them on my list.
I am really looking forward to the movie Julie & Julia!!
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog I am enjoying looking trough all of your creative projects!!

stitching under oaks said...

You've got some great books on your night stand. I read "A Homemade Life" earlier this summer. The Gentle Art of Domesticity is on my list to read. I'm currently reading some books for school (I know boring) and for myself, I'm reading "The Ever Loving Truth" by Vodie Baucham and "The Secret"by Beverly Lewis. I've always got a couple of books going at one time or another. Have a great day!

Unknown said...

I just re-read redeeming love by francine rivers . That is a must read! I will check out the ones you are suggesting, they all look good. I hope you show pix of your daughters room!
Chrissie

Shell in your Pocket said...

I think I will read in the summer but I never seem to do it!

sandy toe

Amanda Towne said...

Hi Ruth,

Just read Julie & Julia--it's hysterically funny, and a great read, but a word of warning, it is FULL of profanity. Like, chock-full. Like, I work in the back room of a restaurant-full.

Thought you should know! :)

Karin said...

So many nice books! My summer list only has boring academic books on it... I need to add some of these to it :)

Unknown said...

I have read some of your choices and agree that they are good books. I am going to read Mrs. Mike this year since I read about it on the MJF reading forum. Have fun with your reading time!

Blogger said...

Need To Increase Your ClickBank Banner Commissions And Traffic?

Bannerizer makes it easy for you to promote ClickBank products using banners, simply go to Bannerizer, and get the banner codes for your picked ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator Tool to promote all of the available ClickBank products.

Post a Comment

I love to hear from all of you. Your comments make me smile.