For the last couple of years I have wanted new stockings. Our old ones were almost twenty years old, grungy, and I was tired of looking at them. I have looked for stockings before and after Christmas while they were on sale but there weren't many I liked, or we just didn't agree on what we wanted. So we kept using what we had. I had thought of sewing burlap stockings but then I wasn't sure of sewing burlap. I was afraid the fuzz would clog by machine. I did contemplate glue but our wood stove is always running and i was afraid they would come apart with the weight of the goodies that would fill them. Besides, hubby is not a big fan of burlap. So I kept thinking and waiting and wondering what I should do. I found some stockings I liked but they were almost $30 each and I knew I would never spend that.
Well, while looking through Pinterest I found these, from this great blog. They are burlap but I thought I could use a different fabric I already had in my stash. They only trouble was there wasn't a pattern or tutorial for them. I would have to try this all on my own.
Here is the mantel before with the old stockings. Once again, instead of artwork or a lovely mirror a giant tv sits a top my mantel. But I try to make the best of it.
Using the old stockings as templates I cut out shapes from osnaburg fabric which I purchased on clearance when Walmart was clearing out all of their fabric (which I can't understand because they brought it all back). I also cut some muslin for the top of the stockings. Then I went to the sewing machine and sewed them together. They are far from perfect and there are a few changes I would make if I tried it again but I am happy with them.
To me this small change has made a dramatic difference in the look of the fireplace. It makes me happy each time I walk by. For the boys' stockings I sewed a straight ribbon around the bottom of the muslin and for the girls I ruffled it just a little.
Then dear hubby found these initials at Walmart. I was thrilled that they had them all. We almost couldn't find a V, but he finally found one. I simply attached them to the loops of the stocking with the hooks in their packages.
Not bad for someone who has never sewn anything without a pattern. Now just don't peek inside my raw edges are a bit scary and the seams may not even be straight but they look pretty. I don't think my family will care what my raw edges look like once I fill them with goodies.
So glad I finally just did it. The difference is amazing. In keeping with my stash busting, the only thing I purchased were the initials. Everything else I already had here. I am quite thrilled to create something so beautiful without spending much. Thrilled to have found that fabric on clearance and swooping it up for less then 50% of the original price.
Linking to these great parties.