Friday, February 8, 2013

Burlap Votives

We are prepping here for Snowmaggedon here.  There is a blizzard watch for our area until 6 p.m. tomorrow.  We have plenty of food and water, wood for the wood stove to last us a bit, and we're charging up everything we can.  Praying for the best and preparing for the worst  case scenario.  We have been teased with snow all winter.  Minor accumulations one day, six inches a week later, several dustings and a few accumulations of less than three inches but this storm is going to be the big one, the mother of all storms. Rivaling the Blizzard of 1978, whose thirty-five year anniversary was February 6.  We may be snow in for quite some time.
In the midst of all this storm prep I decided I needed to work on something fun.  I made this a couple of years ago, it's wintry cuteness made me smile, but I am done with this winter and really wanted a change, so..
There are about 100 of these candle jars in my stash.  I can't help it.  Glade candles are great, I buy them on sale and with coupons, and they are such a great deal.  When they've burned out I simply clean out the jars and save them.  This is why I have so many.
I always have some burlap on hand 
I cut it into strips that will fit around the glass jars, it does not need to be perfect, simply make sure they will overlap in the back
Then using some Mod Podge

and a foam brush
I covered the jars 
then wrapped the burlap pieces around them.
I let them dry for a couple of hours. 
 I don't usually wait very patiently but I had to take my son to basketball.

Once they were dry I used a good old fashioned stencil and paint pen because
I do not own a Cricut or Silhouette.  Not that I wouldn't loooooovvee one but it's
not in the budget for now. I digress, back to the project 
I stenciled the numbers onto the burlap
Loving the simlicity
the ease
and fun that this little change made
an easy upcycle
Here they are all together on our table.  The lovely doily was made by my mom, who is so talented.
Isn't it beautiful???? 
 Disregard the hideously ugly heating unit in the background.  It has been waiting for a cover since the kitchen remodel.  I am going to have to bite the bullet and do it myself.
Their is so much work that goes into creating a beautiful doily/tablecloth like this.
The details~it was made with a pattern from Portugal that a friend recently brought back for my mom.
The completed set
Happy weekend!!

I am linking up to these great parties.

14 comments:

Jaime Lyn said...

So cute Ruth!!! I love these! Simple and perfect! Thank you so much for the great inspiration!
Jaime

Marie at the Lazy W said...

Ruth, what a super craft! Very elegant, simple, and they could be used for so many things, I love it.
Regarding snowmageddon, BEST WISHES. I have seen some news about it and realize it's no joke. I'm glad you're all warm and well stocked. Hopefully it will be a fun memory, not a hard one. xoxo

Unknown said...

Luv the elegant simplicity of your burlap candle holders.
The doily... how awesome is that?! I am in awe of people who crochet. I am all thumbs when it comes to stuff like that. Give me a canvas and a paintbrush please... my element.
Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier :-) Just signed on to follow you... come follow me and join in the fun :-)
Cheers, Gee

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Cute burlap votives! Simple and economical. That's a combination that's perfect in my book!

Judith said...

Such a cute idea, Ruth! These would make awesome gifts! Love it. :)

ANNE said...

So pretty! I love burlap and it looks awesome on your candle holders!!

Laura said...

So cute!
The doily is breathtaking- what a gift from hands and heart.
Hope you're faring well in all the white stuff and that the slow it produces is a blessing.
-Laura

Cristina Garay said...

I love the cute burlap votives! Your Mom's beautiful doily is simply amazing!

Diane | An Extraordinary Day said...

The little burlap candle covers are perfect!!! So fun. Love easy crafts that pack a pizzazz!
Happy Valentine's Week!

Ruth said...

Thank you for all of your sweet comments. I read and appreciate each one.
Ruth

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

I love your burlap votives. Thanks so much for sharing at Simple & Sweet Fridays. Very cute project! Happy Valentine's.

Jody

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

These votives came out great!!!

Holly Lefevre said...

I love the numbers on them!

Roeshel said...

Awe - so cute. What a great easy DIY. Love it! Thanks so much for sharing!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from all of you. Your comments make me smile.