Friday, October 5, 2012

September Musings and a Trip

September was a busy month for us.  It seemed like I blinked and it was gone. We are back to our full time home schooling schedule, we celebrated my hubby's birthday and my mom's birthday and we took a trip to Williamsburg, VA and visited Colonial Williamsburg.  My mom had wanted to see Colonial Williamsburg for a long time and we happened to have the time off and the accommodations , so off we went.  It was an almost ten hour drive from our neck of the woods to Williamsburg but we made it without much traffic and safely.



The architecture is simply amazing.  The area was mostly restored by John D. Rockefeller in the 1930's.  Many of the original buildings had burned down.  Most of the original foundations were uncovered and they rebuilt the existing buildings on them.
This church is original and dates back to the 1700's.  It is an Episcopal Church and still holds services to this day.
 The Governor's Mansion~It is surrounded by incredibly gorgeous gardens and has the most amazing cellar, which is the original.
 The carriage house
My mom and dad on the left and my husband and I.
 The food they were preparing in the kitchen was simply amazing.
The amazing pantry

 Gorgeous horses and carriages~but the rides were too short.
One of the things we found intriguing is that the many of the historical homes along Duke of Gloucester Street (the main street there) are rented out and occupied by the those who work for Colonial Williamsburg.  I love those homes and would love to live in one, if only for a couple of months.  It would be quite interesting to investigate each part of the home and wonder who had walked through those very same rooms, how they lived, what were their thoughts and feelings.  

 Where we stayed.
It was so quiet and tranquil there.  We were blessed with perfect weather, 70's and sunny with cool nights. 
The saddest day was when we had to leave.  We enjoyed it so much!!  We dreamed of winning the lottery, buying an RV home and traveling to all the historical places and national parks in this amazing country of ours. We'll have to keep dreaming and wishing.  My parents were more than ready to join us on our journey.  We were thrilled to have them along on this trip.  My mom would love to see Colonial Williamsburg at Christmas time.  It is beautiful from what we were told but I don't think we'll attempt that kind of drive when the weather may not be cooperative.
This little guy was so sad we were gone that he was sick the entire time.  Poor, little baby, he missed us!!

3 comments:

Sew a Fine Seam said...

I was there as a very small child and have always thought it would be fun to go back! Beautiful architecture!

Adrienne said...

So glad you had a greate trip!

Jaime Lyn said...

First of all, pooooorrrr pup! Doesn't it seem like they always get sick when you are away? mine do! And second, what a wonderful trip! I am so glad that you had a chance to get away and see a new place! And I loved seeing it through you!! Hope you are having a great day friend!
Jaime

Post a Comment

I love to hear from all of you. Your comments make me smile.