Monday, March 7, 2011

Sometime ago I created this very long list of 39 things to do before 39.  Yesterday was my 39th birthday and I would like to say that I have accomplished all that I set out to do but I have come short.


My List~

1.  Get a daily exercise routine and stick to it. ~Unfortunately I always start this but I never stick to it.  I really want to try and stay on track.~I am so proud of keeping up with exercising.  Many days I would like to just give it up but I'm persevering.  

2.  Plan and extend our heirloom vegetable garden. ~ I grew some things from seed this past summer.  I had and still have a lot to learn.  I hope to double the size of the garden this year.~With the dogs coming to live with us last March and the historic floods in our area I did not plant a garden.  I am planning on extending the garden this year.

3.  Save some of my own heirloom seeds.  I think I will start with something easy like tomatoes or beans.~Tried this but did not succeed.  I will try it again.

4.  Attempt to can veggies from our garden. ~ I made homemade salsa and some applesauce but not from our garden.

5.  Make my own jams and jellies.

6.  Sew my own purses-lots of learning needed for this.  I do have a ton of ideas floating around in my head.~I made a couple of bags but am still a novice with much to learn.

7. Work on the elliptical increasing to 20 minutes each session.

8. Take more pictures, capture more moments, have my camera with me always. I have been better at taking the camera where ever we go.  I still forget sometimes but have been remembering more and more.

9.  Put our pictures into albums - I already have the albums I like picked out. ~Still working on this.  We have more photos than I realized.  It is so much fun to look back through them to when the kids were little.  Now they both tower over me.  I miss all their little smiles, hugs, and snuggling with them.  It really is different when they are little.

10.  Make a quilt~I have always wanted to but have chickened out.

11.  Crochet or knit my first sweater.  ~  I have made many things but have never been brave enough to try a sweater.  Time to overcome that.

Still chickening out on the above two but I have chosen a pattern for my sweater.  Let's see how it goes.  I need to find the perfect yarn and choose the color.

12.  Spend more time with God-really seeking what He has planned for me.~Always a work in progress.

13. Volunteer as a family.We are still looking for more opportunities.  We have done small things but would like a larger project.

14.  Design and sew something-no matter how simple.~I have a couple of skirt refashions in the works.  Purchased two patterns to make some summer dresses.  We'll see how I make out.

15.  Open my own Etsy shop.~  Always been a bit of a chicken about just jumping in and doing it. ~Still a chicken. I am a bit intimidated by the many talented shop owners there.

16.  Host a nice dinner with friends.  An elegant "wow" dinner.~Planning one now, better late than never.

17. Read the classics. ~  From Dickens to Austen and anything in between.

18.  Make one thing from each of my craft books.~Still working on it.  I have more books than I thought.  A friend who was moving also gave me some more.

19. Make my own pie crust from scratch. ~  I have always just relied on Pillsbury.~Still relying on Pillsbury.


20.  Go hiking with the kids.

21.  Start planning our weekly menus.~doing better with this but some days dinner still sneaks up on me and I have no idea what to cook.

22.  Start creating more of my own things. ~ Just let it happen with out having to think too much about it.  No analyzing~just creating.

23. Have enough market bags to do away with plastic shopping bags.

24.  Go on a sleigh ride if it snows this year.~This is something I have always wanted to do.  The years that finances allowed it there wasn't any snow.  The years with snow no money.  I want to make it happen this year.~Lots of snow but unexpected things that happened and we could not go.

25.  Begin taking more time to sketch and draw.  Keep a pad with me always.  Learning more as I go.I will continue with this.  I am especially inspired by Alisa Burke.  She has amazing photos of her sketch book and it is very encouraging.  

26. Do fun projects with the kids. - For learning and just plain fun.I will continue to look for more projects that the kids can enjoy even though they are teenagers now.

27. Go out with hubby alone and not worry about the kids. Will continue with this.  It's been great for our marriage.

28. Paint our hutch, dining table and chairs.

29. Learn more about nature.  I would love to spend time outdoors-observing, enjoying and learning.Want to continue enjoying time in nature.

30. Go to the Brimfield Antique Show.~I really wish that I had been able to go but plans are in the works for this May.

31.  Visit the indoor farmers' market held locally every Saturday.

32.  Revamp my blog.

33. Relax more-let the little things go.~I will always have to work on this.

34.  Learn Photoshop!!~Working on it.

35.  Make valances for living room.~We are planning on painting the living room and I am not sure what I will use for window treatments.  I will have to wait and see but I do have some ideas.

36.  Sew new kitchen curtains.~After the remodel and the new trim my brother put up I left them bare.  Not sure how long they will stay that way.  I would like some cafe style curtains.  Something light~not too heavy.

37. Work on daughter's high school transcript.  ~Includes reading the book I bought for this.  So hard to get into this.~Completed and she was accepted to our local state college.  She also received a Presidential Scholarship from the college.  She will be starting nursing classes in the fall.  She plans to become a surgical nurse

38. Cook more things from scratch.


39. Read all my Mother Earth News magazines.

As it says in Proverbs "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails."

There have been many changes in our lives since I first started working on this list.  We had the sudden loss of a loved one, took in two big dogs into our family, completed a bedroom and kitchen remodel, and these are only the major and external things.  I will continue to work on my goals and to set new ones.  Some may be accomplished and others forgotten.  Our plans are not set in stone.  God makes the way and I need to be flexible to His plans.  There are many plans in my heart but it is not all about me.  


3 comments:

Adrienne said...

WOW! What a list ~ look at what you have accomplished. I need to do something like this ... only I'll be 39 in 5 months! Might have to make my goal for something like 45! Happy belated!

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Hi Ruth,

Oh my gosh, what a list!
And you've done so much.
You should feel very good
about that.

I'm so tickled about your
daughter becoming a surgical
nurse. That's such a great
choice.

And you...OPEN that Etsy shop.
I have mine initially set up.
I'm working on some digital collage
sheets for download. And you know
how many designers are doing that! I think anytime you step out with things that you make it can be scary. I think it is, anyway...I think I'll be a nervous ninny when I list stuff I've made but I'm going to do it...I sure hope you do too. You have to remember we are talented in our own beautiful way and I know first hand that creative bloggers are very encouraging...so many are selling stuff these days.

Happy Belated Birthday to you..I'm trying to think of how many years ago that we met online? Has it been 3 years? My...how time marches on!

Talk to ya later,
Stephanie ♥

stitching under oaks said...

that list is pretty amazing...but your attitude is even more so! The love that you've shown throughout the family relationships and losses that you've had this year has been something that wasn't on your list but has been so powerful.

Post a Comment

I love to hear from all of you. Your comments make me smile.