Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The List~





In November I participated with Chrissie Grace making a list of things we would like to accomplish. My list was 39 things to do before 39. Saturday I celebrated my birthday but have only turned 38. I had many things on my list that I knew I could not accomplish in such a short time so I planned to give myself an extra year. In hindsight, I am glad I did because of the recent events in our lives have changed many things here.

Usually my husband loves to celebrate my birthday with much fanfare. He starts to make plans shortly after Christmas. Now mind you that he does not wish me to do the same for his birthday. This year has been a bit harder for him. We are currently working on setting up our home and yard to bring my brother in law's two huskies to live with us. You can see them here. We are all anxious for them to be here but we know that we need to have the proper arrangements for them. Usually our weekends have consisted of going to visit the dogs and taking them for walks. They get so excited when they see my husband now. Dh had a cap installed on his truck and we are able to bring them on field trips to our house. They seem to love that time. Why all this run-on about the dogs in the middle of this post? That is what we spent our weekend working on. My husband was beside himself because I had set up the appointment for the fencing company on Saturday, we had a flat trailer coming to pick up the rest of our swing set and bringing it to my sister's house and we needed to go out and put in the final order for their shed.

Hubby did not think that this was an appropriate birthday celebration but I was so pleased to see things finally underway and knowing that work will be starting and hopefully complete within a couple of weeks. It has also been difficult for hubby to arrange any plans or fanfare because he is commuting to Boston daily by train. This make for 13-14 hours day beginning with a 5 o'clock wake up call.

Now that this recent birthday is past I have had some time to reflect on the list I made. I was glad to find that there have been some accomplishments, no matter how small.

Crossing things off the list:

1. Get a daily exercise routine and stick to it. - The number one thing on my list was exercise. It thrills me to know that I have accomplished this. I am still working out three to four days a week, completing the exercise dvd each time. This is huge for me because I have started so many times and always quit. YEAH !!!!!!!!!!

8. Take more pictures, capture more moments, have my camera with me always. - I still have a lot to learn here but I have started. I find myself reaching for the camera more often.

17. Read the classics. ~ From Dickens to Austen and anything in between. - I have been reading quite a bit more. Right now I have two books I'm reading- Pride and Prejudice and Milton's Paradise Lost.

21. Start planning our weekly menus.- I have started this and do forget sometimes but am trying to keep at it. It makes it so much easier when it's dinner time. It is one thing I have always wanted to do but many times forget to do.

23. Have enough market bags to do away with plastic shopping bags.- I have our bags in the car now so they are always there when I am out.

27. Go out with hubby alone and not worry about the kids. - We have had some nice times and it is great to be able to sit and talk to each other without interruptions or wandering if there are other ears listening.


This is only a start and I have a long way to go but I am glad that I can cross some things and now that I am on my way.








4 comments:

cinnamongirl said...

Geez I am sorry I missed your birthday. Happy happy 38th to you.

There is no better thing to do with your birthday then to deal with things weighing on your mind. Hope all goes well with yous and the dogs. His brother is smiling down on yous. Hugs

larissa said...

Happy belated Birthday to you! and i totally agree that finishing up all the things that need to get done in order for your life to run more smoothly is the best thing to do on your birthday. I'm glad you're enjoying your doggies - they really won't need that much space or work if you walk them twice a day. I enjoyed reading your list - i turned 39 in december and have a similar list that i have been keeping up with. our lists are very similar except for the going out to dinner part - i am a bit nuts about leaving my kids with a sitter at night and although I realize that i have a problem it's my only true psych issue so i'm fine to live with it. but we do have quiet dinners alone often once the kids are in bed - counts for date night in my book. Have a wonderful week!

sara said...

Good for you. Good job on the working out! :)

luci said...

happy birthday! well done for crossing off some more things on the list! yeah!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from all of you. Your comments make me smile.