Friday, June 12, 2009

Yard and Garden

I thought I would continue the tour of our home with the yard and garden.  We have a pretty large backyard, especially for the usual size of lots in our area.  This property is actually considered two lots. It's one of the reasons why we chose this house.
This is the back of our house.
Our strawberries~they are so sweet.  Nothing like the kind you buy at the market.
Strawberry plants~sorry it's flipped.  They are spreading nicely.  I hope to have this whole box full by next summer and then we can start another one.
This is our little greenhouse.  It was getting so hot in there with even the slightest sunshine.  We took the plastic off the door for ventilation.  I started seeds indoors but put them in the greenhouse in early April and they did well with some extra ventilation during the day and warmth during the night.
This is our garden.  My husband built this enclosure because of the squirrels.  For two years they destroyed everything I planted.  I'm so glad they can't get to it now.  All of the seeds I planted are heirloom seeds from Seed Savers.  I can't wait to try the produce when it grows.
Spinach, tomatoes and lettuce plant.
Beans
More lettuce and tomatoes.
I have planted:  Amish Melon
Early Fortune Cucumbers
Golden Zucchini Squash
King of the North Peppers
Eva Purple Ball Tomato
Chalk's Early Jewel Tomato
Czech's Bush Tomato
Dwarf Blue Curled Scotch Kale
Grandpa Admire's Lettuce
America Spinach
Amish Deer Tongue Lettuce
Golden Bantam Improved Corn
Burpee Stringless Bean
Climbing French Bean
Gourd Mixture

The peppers are still in the greenhouse.  We have had a lot of rain and cool temperatures so far this season.  Only one cucumber plant survived but that's ok for cucumbers.  Next year I will also have garlic and a some herbs.  I didn't want to overdue it for my first year starting from seeds and growing heirlooms.  I am anxious to share the harvest with you.

6 comments:

Bonne said...

Thanks for the visuals on your garden area! I love to actually see what you are doing back there. ;) Looks great hugs, B

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruth, I have paired you up with another lady from the U.S. for the Cosy Crochet and Knitting Swap, please take a look on my blog to find out who (click on the link to be directed to your partners blog). xxxx

Simply Heart And Home said...

Ruth,

Your garden is coming along splendidly. Thank you for sharing your pictures and such with us.

Gina

Adrienne said...

Hi there! I am so excited to be your swap partner. Shoot me an email at someofakind at gmail dot com so we can chat and get to know each other a little better. Look forward to hearing form you.

Adrienne

monica said...

Ruth, The strawberries look yummy! I love the enclosure you have! I think I will have to get hubby to build me something like that!!

Carol............. said...

Thank you for the tour...it IS fun to peek into other homes.....everything looks so organized. I like the strawberry bed.

Post a Comment

I love to hear from all of you. Your comments make me smile.