Since our kitchen remodel we have a small desk area. Unfortunately, this area becomes easily cluttered with mail, receipts, etc.
We are taking a short break from homeschooling this week along with the local public schools. This was the perfect time to work on a little project.
I picked up this box at the post office.
I wanted it to be open at the top. So I closed the two sides and cut off the top to make the opening.
I found this gorgeous burlap at Joann's and bought it with a 40% off coupon.
I immediately knew I would use it to cover my new "mailbox". I measured and cut the fabric to fit around the box.
Applied a thick layer of Mod Podge on the first side and rubbed the fabric down. Then I repeated it for each of the sides.
I used binder clips to keep the fabric together while I let it dry for about an hour.
I then applied a little more Mod Podge to the edges to make sure they aren't going to fray.
I let it dry for a couple of hours and then started on the bottom. I applied a generous amount of Mod Podge and rubbed the burlap down.
I wrapped the ends like gift wrap.
For the top I used binder clips to hold it in place. Then with more Mod Podge I tacked them down. I used packing tape to hold it in place while it dried. The tape came off easily without lifting the burlap. Just remove it carefully.
I let it dry for a couple of hours and then applied a coat of Mod Podge all over the box. I let it dry completely overnight.
This is our desk area. The box we had did not fit well in the space and took up too much room. It was better than leaving the mail all over the desk but not what I liked.
Here is the completed box. I worked on this in the basement and the red line did not show up as much in that light. It was better than the previous box but I knew this would bother me. If I make something like this again I will paint the box a neutral shade before I start applying the burlap.
The desk area looks much better with the new "mailbox".
But the red line was bothering me. I know you can't see it but I knew it was there. I decided to add a black ribbon all around the top of the box. This made me feel much better.
The completed project. Looks so much better.